Jet City Roller Derby is proud to present our comprehensive training program for aspiring derby players! This exciting program will train you from the ground up to become the best derby player you can be!
How it works
- Basic skating lessons (BSL) – Learn basic derby skating skills, stance, crossovers, and much more. We welcome all skill levels, men, women and children 18 or older. Once you have all your basic skills down you are eligible for our Jet Cadets Program!
- Jet Cadets (women 18 and over) – The Jet Cadets are our Fresh Meat Team. On cadets you’ll learn the advanced skills to get you bout ready – whips, pushes, lateral movement, hitting, jamming. pack work, etc. After passing intermediate skills and scrimmage assessment and achieving standard benchmarks, you will be invited to practice with the JCRD home teams on Tuesday and Thursday nights. Home teams draft from our fresh meat teams approximately 4 times a year.
- JCRD teams cannot accept men or children, but men 18 and older are encouraged to consider becoming skating or non-skating officials in our Derby Enforcement Agency or joining the local men’s roller derby league, the Puget Sound Outcasts. We gladly train aspiring officials with no skating experience!
We encourage you to Email us for information on joining.
Program highlights include:
• The chance to learn at your own pace
• Feedback provided by league skaters
• Jet City Roller Derby league skaters available at every practice to help train
• Clinics run by league skaters and coaches
• Admittance to league practices, including scrimmages, to learn by observation
• Off skates workout suggestions
• Proper warm-up and cool down techniques at each practice
When can I start!?
Tryouts for BSL and Cadets occur weekly, and follow the schedule below:
|Drop-in for $10 per practice or pay $50/month to join!|
What do I need to start?
Whether you are joining Jet City for a fitness outlet or to become a serious derby athlete or even to just try something new, there are a few items you will need before hitting the floor at BSL practice. You can always borrow gear your first few times! Just make sure to bring a water bottle, comfortable athletic clothing, and your own mouthguard. As you continue on your journey and stick around, you will need to buy your own gear and work on skate maintenance. Continue reading for more info or email directly us with any questions you may have.
• All BSL skaters must be ages 18 and up.
Male and female participants are accepted into BSL.
• All Cadet participants must be of age, out of high school, identify as they/them or she/her and physically able to participate in a full-contact sport.
• Current personal health insurance is required.
• Liability waivers must be signed to skate.
|• Quad Skates
• A Helmet
• Knee pads
• Elbow pads
• Wrist guards
• Protective mouth guard
• Water bottle